Change Your Password
What to do and how to do it
- What is an Eservices password and how do I know if I have one?
You use your Eservices password for access to the UVa Exchange Service* (email and calendaring, sometimes referred to as "Outlook"), login to classroom and library computers, network printing, the UVa Hive, Premium Server clients (ES1 and ES3), Home Directory Service, and SharePoint. It can also be used to log into NetBadge. Most faculty, staff, and students have an Eservices account and password.
This account is NOT used for Medical Center email or clinical systems.
* This does NOT include Health System/Medical Center, Darden, or McIntire email services.
- How do I change my password on my computer and my mobile devices?
- If you have a mobile device(s) and read your UVa email (except for Darden, McIntire, and HSTS) on it, put it in "airplane mode." If not, proceed to step 2.
- On your computer go to https://whois.virginia.edu/password/.
- Change your password and then immediately shut down your computer.
- With your mobile device(s) still in airplane mode, change your email password to the password you created in step 3 above on each device. On Android and certain other mobile devices, you may have to delete the email account from the device and set it up again in order to change the password.
- Wait 15 minutes and restart your computer.
- Log into your computer, launch email, and enter the new
password if prompted.
- Windows users: you may need to use your cached (old) password to log into Windows until your PC receives your new password from the Eservices domain server.
- Take your device(s) out of airplane mode.
- You must be on Grounds or have an on-Grounds IP address using one of the UVa VPN Services (UVa Anywhere, MSN VPN or Joint VPN) before proceeding.
- Press the Windows Key + L (or CTRL-ALT-DEL and then Lock) to lock the computer.
- Log in again and enter your new password.
- Press the Windows key + E to open File Explorer (or click the Start button and select File Explorer).
- In the address bar, copy and paste this line and press
- When prompted, enter your computing ID and password in
the following format, then click OK:
Computing ID: eservices.virginia.edu\mst3k
Password: [your new password here]
- Wait one full minute, and reboot your computer.
- When your computer finishes rebooting, log in using your new password.
- Where do I go for help if I have technical questions?
- Call the UVa Help Desk for IT at 4-HELP (434-924-4357) or toll free at 866-469-4866.
Computers joined to the Eservices domain may require these steps:
If you are prompted by Windows to lock your computer and log in again after starting Windows:
If only your old password works when logging in to Windows:
This normally occurs on Windows computers joined to the Eservices domain connecting via WiFi. You will need to force Windows to recognize that the old password (cached/stored in Windows) is outdated and force Windows to "pick up" your new password.
To force your computer to clear the cache and recognize your new Eservices password: