Skip to content »
ITS and UVa logos for printed output
MENU menu icon

Telephone Services at UVa

Cellular Phone Service


For information about cellular telephone service in student residence areas, see our Information for Students page.

Faculty and Staff

Important! Before You Order Your Phone...

Prior to activating a cell phone or PDA (iPhone, BlackBerry, iPad, etc.) that has been provided by or funded by the University, the recipient must complete the Employee Agreement Concerning the Use of University-Owned Cell Phones and PDAs form and submit it to your department/unit's fiscal administrator for their records.

Ordering Directly From UVa-Contracted Vendors

Faculty and staff needing wireless and cellular telephone service may purchase cellular telephone/wireless services directly from UVa-contracted carriers by accessing existing cooperative contracts negotiated through UVa Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services.

In the past, ITS Communication Services was the single University contact for cellular services, which VITA required in 2003. Since then, ITS has continued to process orders for service and equipment, and incorporated VITA charges into departmental billing. This process, when added to VITA's processes, has resulted in inefficiencies and delays which directly impact departments. Buying straight from the carriers provides more choice and better service.

Existing Orders Through ITS Communication Services/VITA

Existing services previously ordered through VITA will continue and billing for those services will remain unchanged. ITS Communication Services no longer accepts new orders for service and equipment through VITA (effective Oct. 1, 2010). Please direct any questions regarding VITA orders to ITS Communication Services at 4-4106 or by email.

IMPORTANT: If you currently have service through VITA and switch to one of the cooperative contracts, please contact ITS after the new service is set up in order for ITS to cancel your VITA service, otherwise the VITA billing may continue.

Cancellation of Cellular Service

Requests to cancel service, change service, or port numbers for cellular phones ordered through VITA must be submitted to ITS Communication Services. Please do not contact the local carrier about any of these issues. Failure to properly notify Communication Services about changes could result in ongoing charges.

  Page Updated: Wednesday 2012-03-07 12:09:47 EST