Telephone Services at UVa
UVa Phone Directory Services
Printed 2014-2015 UVa Telephone Directory
A significant number of the paper copies of the UVa Telephone Directory actually end up in recycling right after delivery, so this year we’ve made some changes. We’re transitioning away from print to online information, which conserves resources.
- For the 2014-2015 directory, a limited number of paper copies will be available for special needs. If you decide you need printed copies, please fill out the form with information about your special case. Your request will be reviewed, and if approved, you will receive an email with information about where to pick up your order.
- The University’s 2014-2015 online telephone directory information is posted in portable document format (PDF), which is an exact representation of the printed directory—except it is on the Web. It is searchable and printable.
- There will be no printed 2015-2016 directory.
UVa Directory Service Online Access & Searching
Access to the University’s telephone directory is available via the online UVa People Search » tool.
Several searching methods are available:
- enter just the first few letters of the last and first names if you are not sure of the correct spelling of the whole name;
- use the Common Name field when searching for people who may commonly use a name other than their legal first name (for example, use a Common Name of "Jim Smith" instead of a last name of "Smith" and a first name of "James");
- or by full first and last name.
A maximum of 100 matching entries are possible for searches from off-Grounds locations. On-Grounds users may match up to 1,000 entries.
You may also search by department; this is especially useful for staff and faculty. A maximum of 40 matching entries will be listed. If 40 matches are listed, some others were probably not listed due to the limit and you should consider refining your search string further.
Update Your University Telephone Directory Listing
University faculty and staff may use the link above to review and update some of their directory information with ITS. Other information items may only be updated through the Integrated System (Oracle).
- For instance, you can update the office information that appears in the printed telephone directory from the University Directory Update Service but to update office information for WHOIS, you'll need to do it through the Personal Information choice under UVa Employee Self-Service in the Integrated System.
This information is available through the University Directory (telephone book) online and through online systems like the University home page and the WHOIS service. Changes to directory information will appear in the online directories the next morning. You may update your information as many times as necessary. These changes will not, however, update your directory information with agencies outside of ITS such as Payroll and Parking and Transportation. Updates with those departments should be made according to that department's procedures and guidelines.
You must have a registered email address and an account on one of the following services to update your directory info online: Home Directory Service/Eservices, Central Mail Service (CMS), or HSCS Outlook/Exchange Mail system.
Student updates for local and permanent home addresses and home telephone numbers must be processed via the SIS.
Students can use the University Directory Update Service to update their office telephone information, their home page URL, and other information available through the University's electronic directories. Students also need a registered email address and an account on the Home Directory Service/Eservices or CMS to update their information.
Questions about updating the telephone directory online should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the UVa Help Desk at 434-924-HELP (434-924-4357).
Unauthorized use of this service is prohibited.