Telephone Services at UVa
Phone Services, Voicemail, Directory Services
Telephone System Transition Now Underway: VoIP is coming! (June 2014—December 2015)
Between June 2014 and December 2015, there will be 2 telephone systems in use at UVa. The University has begun the process of transitioning existing Siemens telephone system/ROLM phones (the "legacy" phone system) to the Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system and phones (the "new" University Telephone System). Approximately 26,000 phone lines from both the academic and medical center sides will be migrated between now and December 2015.
ITS's Communication Services group provides voice communication and telephone services to all University and Health Sciences Center departments, students in residence halls, and the Regional Centers of the Division of Continuing Education.
- Getting Phone Service at UVa
- Making arrangements to get phone service in a department or dorm. Since Fall 2010 there has been no active telephone service in residence halls; students may request a phone but installation and service fees apply.
- Using the Telephone System
- Dialing instructions, telephone number formats, and help on handling annoying calls.
- Voicemail is available for faculty, staff, and students using UVa landline telephones and allows you to record, send, and receive voice messages from any touch-tone phone (or equivalent) at any time.
- Long-Distance Telephone Service
- Information on long-distance service for faculty and staff, and student PINs.
- UVa Phone Directory Services
- The UVa phone directory is available both in print and online; self-update is available for some information.
- Special Phone Services
- Conference calling, TTY, ACD, and paging.
- Cellular Phone Service
- Telephone Services Billing
- General billing information, and rates for different phones and long distance.
- Managing Telephone Services in a Department
- Several reports are available by PTAO number; list of telephone counselors.
- Telephone Service Problems
- Who to contact for problems and response time info.