Identity Management at UVa
ID Verification & Security Questions
Before you proceed, you may want to check Enhanced NetBadge: Available Password & Security Question Management Tools.
The In-Person Identity Verification Process at UVa
What to Bring & What to Expect During ID Verification
- If you do not yet have a white PassPhrase card, you will need to be ID-verified to get it.
- If you do already have one, but have not yet used it to complete the ID verification process and set your personal security questions and answers, finish your process now by completing steps #3 and #4 below.
What to Bring with You for In-Person ID Verification
Take your UVa ID card (if you have one) and one of the following (required):
- a U.S. Driver’s License or
- a U.S. Military ID Card or
- a U.S. Green Card (US Homeland Security Permanent Resident card) or
- Any government-issued passport.
What to Do & What to Expect During ID Verification
- Show your UVa ID card (if you have one) and a U.S. government-issued photo ID or other government-issued passport.
- You will then be given a personalized white PassPhrase card with instructions.
- From your own computer, visit the URL listed on your PassPhrase card (http://whois.virginia.edu/idm). For your security, do not do this on a public computer, nor a public, free WiFi network.
- Set your 4 personal security questions and answers:
- Please take your time and think carefully as you select these. Be sure to pick questions for which you easily know the answer, but other persons do not.
- You will use these security questions in the future anytime you need to log into a system protected by Enhanced NetBadge.
- Your final step will be to specify your Permanent password.
Where to Go: Identity Verification Locations
ID Verification Available at These UVa Locations
- For new UVa students, faculty, and staff:
- PassPhrase Requests & Problems: Contact ISPRO Access Management for an appointment 8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- UVa ID Cards: Go to the University ID Card Office. (New students typically get ID-verified as part of their Summer Orientation. If you need to be ID-proofed/verified, the University ID Card Office can do it when you pick up your ID.)
- For Medical Center employees, School of Medicine, and School of Nursing students:
- The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library circulation desk offers ID verifications on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM for medical center-related library patrons.
- For Commerce School employees and students:
- Contact the Commerce School Help Desk.
- For Nursing School employees and students:
- Contact the Nursing School Help Desk.
- For Facilities Management employees:
- Contact the Facilities Management Help Desk at 982-5579 to complete the process.
- For all other Academic employees and students:
- Contact ISPRO Access Management for an appointment 8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.