Identity Management at UVa
In-Person ID Verification & Security Questions
First: Acceptable Documents — What to Take to Your ID Verification
Proof of Identity Required: Show your UVa ID card (don't have one yet?), and one of the following required items:
- a U.S. Driver’s License or
- a U.S. Military ID Card or
- a U.S. Green Card (U.S. Homeland Security Permanent Resident card) or
- Any government-issued passport book.
Next: Where to Go for ID Verification
|If you have...||So you need...||Then go to...|
|Neither a UVa ID Card nor a PassPhrase
(and you are not affiliated with any of the below entities *)
|To get both a new University ID card & PassPhrase for the first time||University ID Card Office, O-Hill Dining
8:00 AM-5:00PM, Mon.-Fri
(new undergrads usually do this at Summer Orientation)
|A University ID card but no PassPhrase, or you have an account problem
||To replace a lost PassPhrase or get one for the first time or get your account question answered||ISPRO Access Management,
Carruthers Hall, Rm 233
8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Mon.–Fri.
* For UVa Students & Employees with Specific Affiliations...
If you’re an employee or student in one of these schools or departments that do their own ID verification, go instead to:
|UVa Affiliation||Your Status...||Where to Go...|
|School of Law||New & Current Students & Employees||Withers-Brown Hall,
8:30 AM–4:30 PM, Mon.–Fri.
|School of Medicine or
|New & Current Employees||Health Sciences Library circulation desk
9:00 AM–12:00 PM, Tues. or Thurs.
|School of Nursing||New & Current Students||Health Sciences Library circulation desk
9:00 AM–12:00 PM, Tues. or Thurs.
or the Nursing School Help Desk
|New & Current Employees||Nursing School Help Desk
|Darden School of Business||New & Current Students & Employees||Darden Computing Service Desk
|Commerce School||New & Current Students & Employees||McIntire
School Help Desk
|Facilities Management||New & Current Employees||Facilities Management Help Desk
Completing Your UVa ID Verification Process
- Once you show your documents for proof of identity,
you will receive your PassPhrase.
Your UVa Account Setup PassPhrase is a unique combo of letters & numbers on a white slip of paper with some instructions attached.
- Visit the URL listed on the instructions included with your
PassPhrase. For your security, do not do this on a public computer, nor a public,
free Wi-Fi network. You’ll need to:
- Log in via NetBadge
- Provide your PassPhrase
- Provide your 9-digit University ID number (listed on your University ID card, or look it up by providing your Social Security number & a password)
- Ready? Go to whois.virginia.edu/idm now to complete this step.
- Follow prompts to set your 4 personal security questions and answers.
- Think carefully as you select these. Pick questions for which you easily know the answer, but others do not.
- Note that the answers to your security questions must be longer than 4 characters.
- Establish your Permanent UVa password. You will have the opportunity to:
- Accept a suggested password that is automatically generated for you; or
- Re-enter the password you already use for NetBadge to set it as Permanent, or
- Create your own strong password that meets the security requirements.
Congratulations, you’re done! Do not destroy your PassPhrase until you are sure you will remember your Permanent password.