Office 365 Project
In 2017, all faculty and staff will be upgraded from the current version of Exchange to Office 365 in the cloud.
At its core, Office 365 is the same suite of Office products and services you recognize, now provided through the cloud. It includes
- Email (Exchange/Outlook/Outlook Web App),
- Storage (OneDrive),
- Collaboration tools (Skype for Business, Sharepoint),
- Productivity software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and more in an integrated product offering.
How is Office 365 Different?
- It's cloud-based, meaning hosting will be provided by Microsoft servers and not ITS servers.
- It's a subscription-based service, giving ITS easy access to the latest software releases.
- It offers web-based access to software previously limited to a local installation.
What This Means for You
- If you have an account on the ITS Exchange service, you will be upgraded automatically to Office 365's Outlook.
- Fully supported Skype for Business which facilitates meeting from different locations across Grounds. Features include Instant Messaging, voice and video calls, sharing of materials on your desktop, and much more.
- An increased email quota (50 GB compared to 6GB today).
- The ability to download and use the official Microsoft Outlook Mobile App (from your app store) on your smart phone/tablet.
- In the future, you'll be able to take advantage of Microsoft applications hosted online by Office 365, such as OneDrive, which allows users up to 1 TB of space to store and share work files.
After the upgrade, you'll be able to access your Office 365 email, calendar, address book, and tasks through Microsoft's web interface, Outlook Web App (OWA), as well as your desktop email programs and mobile devices.
The biggest change that the average user will experience is an increase in the number of cloud-based services available. We encourage you to visit the UVA Office 365 Resource Portal to learn more about some of the apps that will be available to the community over the course of the project. Also, you can sign up for a general demo session where Office 365 specialists will show you all the cool things these new apps can do.
Office 365 Resource Portal
To learn more about Office 365 products, please visit the UVA Office 365 Resource Portal which includes:
- Video Training (over 3,000 videos)
- Library of Courses
- Knowledge Articles (Self-Help)
- Shareable Tips
- Shareable Videos
The process of upgrading faculty and staff email and calendar functions to Office 365 will take place during 2017, with additional functionality to follow in early 2018.
Office 365 functionality will be deployed in three separate work streams.
- Workstream 1 (Pilot migration groups completed March–May — including ITS/Information Security; Full migration is slated for June through November) Exchange/Outlook Online (Email/Calendaring) & Skype for Business
- Workstream 2 (TBD) OneDrive Activation
- Workstream 3 (TBD) OfficeProPlus, SharePoint Online Activation