Email & Calendar for Faculty & Staff (Office 365)
Set Up Outlook Email on a Mobile Device
Setting up your mobile device for Office 365
You have a couple of choices for setup:
- Use the native mail app already on your device (not supported by ITS)
- Use the Microsoft Outlook mobile app which you can download for free from either the Apple Store (Outlook for iOS) or Google Play (Outlook for Android) (the Outlook mobile app is supported by ITS)
In making your decision about which app to use, please read through the mobile devices section in the Office 365 FAQ.
for both the native app and the Outlook App:
Tips for using the Outlook mobile app
Tap and hold actions for messages:
- Use the icons on the bottom of the screen in your mobile app to switch between mail, calendar, files, people (contacts), and settings.
- After selecting a message, tap the three dots under the time in the right top of the message area and use the the actions on the screen that appears to reply, forward, or delete the message.
- Swipe Gestures as actions for messages.
This feature enables you to complete the following actions for messages with simple swipe gestures to the left or right:
- Mark Read
- Read & Archive
Set your Swipe Options under Settings in your Outlook mobile app.
Focused Inbox Feature
- Tap and hold a message, then select from the icons at the bottom of the screen to do one of the following:
- Delete (tap the trash bin)
- Move (tap the folder with the arrow)
- Flag (tap the flag)
- Archive (tap the file box)
- You may also perform any of these actions on multiple messages at one time by tapping and holding each message until a checked box appears to the left of the message, then choose the appropriate icon for your desired action.
Organize Mail by Thread Feature
- This new feature allows you to prioritize your most important emails into a
Focused Inbox. This is on by default:; you can turn it off in Settings for the app.
You can search for answers to questions within the Outlook app.
- This feature is not new but is turned on by default. You can turn it off
in Settings for the app.
- In Settings, go to Help & Feedback, then check the FAQs. There you will find categories of questions/answers as well as a Search box in which you can type your specific question.