Office 365 Project
The Upgrade Process to Office 365
The upgrade will begin at 8 PM the night before your transition is scheduled and will finish at 8 AM the following morning.
- Make sure that your account is set to cached mode in Outlook (Windows computers only)
- Not sure if you are in cached mode? Look at these instructions.
- You'll want to stay in cached mode after your upgrade for the best user experience.
- If you are using Windows Office 2013, you will need to download a registry patch in order to successfully sign in to the service after the upgrade.
- Turn your computer off the night of the upgrade.
- Remember that after the upgrade, your login will be computingID@virginia.edu and your Eservices password.
- The upgrade process is a short window overnight. If you need to send email the night of the upgrade, please use the Outlook Web App (OWA).
After the Upgrade
- Start up your computer and Outlook and wait several minutes to "rehome" your email.
- Remember your login is now computingID@virginia.edu and your Eservices password.
Email & Calendar
- If you continue to see the word "eservices" in several places in Outlook, it is simply a display account name and has no impact on your Office 365 upgrade or functionality. You can double-check to see if you are on Office 365 by logging into OWA (Outlook Web App) where you will see the new OWA interface.
- You may see a couple of screens prompting you to log in when you go to OWA--that's okay. One will likely be your old OWA screen and the second will be the new one with a large color photo of Jefferson's statue.
- Office 365 flags junk mail slightly differently than Exchange, so be sure to check your email junk folder regularly.
- If you have subscribed to mailing lists, listservs, and some moderated Sympa lists, etc. with computingID@eservices.virginia.edu it will continue to work for a short time, but you will eventually need to change it to computingID@virginia.edu
- Mail sent to any aliases that point to your Eservices account will continue to arrive in your in box.
- You won't need to download any email software on your desktop/laptop.
- Mac Users :
- In Office 365, Microsoft has changed the way a Mac/Outlook user is able to view a
shared calendar: the person who owns the calendar must grant "Reviewer" access, otherwise
they will not be able to see the calendar at all.
If sharing the calendar from Office 365 OWA, the equivalent to Reviewer is "Can view all details".
More info at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2876443/user-with-free-busy-permission-can-t-open-another-calendar-in-outlook-for-mac
- In Office 365, Microsoft has changed the way a Mac/Outlook user is able to view a shared calendar: the person who owns the calendar must grant "Reviewer" access, otherwise they will not be able to see the calendar at all. If sharing the calendar from Office 365 OWA, the equivalent to Reviewer is "Can view all details".
- For Windows and Mac users (until all upgrade waves are complete):
- In OWA, for a user whose mailbox has not yet been upgraded to view the calendar of a user who has been upgraded to Office 365, the O365 user must send a sharing invite to the not yet upgraded user, who must open the invite email in OWA and click the "Add this calendar" link near the top of the email.
- Users whose mailboxes have been moved to O365 will not be able to use OWA to open shared mailboxes that have not been upgraded.
- Users should empty their auto-complete list once they've
been upgraded. Purging the old email addresses that contain "@eservices.virginia.edu"
from their Outlook clients will vastly improve the user experience.
- For Windows:
- Open Outlook.
- On the File tab, Click Options.
- Click the Mail tab.
- Under Send Messages, click Empty Auto-Complete List.
- Click Yes.
- For Mac:
- Open Outlook.
- Click the New Email button.
- In the new email window, start typing the address you want to remove in the To: field. When it appears, click the X button next to the address.
- For Windows:
Smartphone & Tablet Devices
- After the upgrade, you can install Outlook App on your mobile device. The Outlook mobile app is the officially-supported email mobile app for Office 365 accounts. You can download it from your device's App Store.
- See instructions for setting up your mobile device and tips for using the Outlook mobile app.
Skype for Business for Windows, Mac, and Supported Mobile Devices
- Skype for Business replaces Lync
- Your new Office 365 account will support the latest Skype for Business client on both Mac and Windows computers and mobile devices.
- If you are using Lync on a Mac you will need to uninstall Lync and then download Skype for Business from the UVA Software Gateway.
- On a mobile device, remove Lync (if you were using it) and install Skype for Business from your App Store.
- Most Windows computers have already auto-updated from Lync to Skype for Business, however, if you need to install Skype for Business, you can download it from the UVA Software Gateway.
- The new Outlook Web App (OWA) at https://outlook.com/virginia.edu is your go-to access for email and calendar if you are having issues with Outlook email on your desktop.
- Your login will be different once you're on Office 365. It will be your computingID@virginia.edu and your Eservices password. This includes
- Outlook for your desktop
- Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Outlook Mobile App
- If you have problems, try restarting your computer.
- Check out the UVA Office 365
Resource Portal .
- Your post-upgrade login will be computingID@virginia.edu and your Eservices password.
- Here, you will find over 3,000 videos, knowledge articles, how-to's, and much more.
- If you are not upgraded, you can get into the portal as computingID@eservices.virginia.edu with your Eservices password.
- Shared Account Issues:
- On your desktop computer, if you are having trouble with a shared account, remove it and then re-add it to your profile using the instructions at: http://its.virginia.edu/exchange/configuration/generic.html. This will also fix repeated authentication requests on those accounts. Note: The address of shared mailboxes does NOT change after upgrade: it will remain whatever the shared mailbox name is @eservices.virginia.edu.
- Take a look at our "Known Issues" page for a list of the latest issues.