ITS Service Changes
How Ongoing/Upcoming Upgrades May Affect You
Below is more detail about ongoing and upcoming changes to ITS services that are likely to impact you:
- Upcoming Changes to UVA VPN Services
- ITS Statement on Support of macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12) at UVA
- Integrated System Information to Move to ITSWeb
- Qualtrics Research Suite Now Available
- Change to Search Function on ITSWeb
- Shibboleth Upgrade: Test Your Applications
- UVA Now Participating in eduroam
- Service Request Tool Updates
- Windows License Server & Management Changes
- New Microsoft Select Plus Contract
Upcoming Changes to UVA VPN Services
Security Enhancements for More Secure Network VPN & Joint VPN
- Purpose: In order to improve network security, ITS will be changing the configuration of the More Secure Network VPN and Joint VPN services from Split Tunnel to Full Tunnel prior to the end of the calendar year. The change will be made first for the More Secure Network VPN on October 18, 2016.
- Impact To Users: Many users will not notice a difference once the More Secure Network VPN service is operating in Full Tunnel mode. If they need to access local network resources while connected to the More Secure Network VPN service, such as network printers at home, they may need to enable the “Allow Local (LAN) access when using VPN” option in the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client preferences/options. If you need assistance making these changes, please consult your departmental LSP or contact the UVA Help Desk.
Impact to LSPs: If LSPs have network resources such as file servers that have been restricted by IP address access lists containing their local building subnets, for example, they will need to ensure that they have added the More Secure Network VPN service client IP address range to these access lists. Note: To get ahead of the game you may want to consider adding the Joint VPN service client IP address range at this time as well.
Statement on Support of macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12) at UVA
Can Be Used with Most Basic UVA Services like WiFi and Email
- Purpose: Apple's latest operating system, macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12), is currently (Sept. 2016) being testing against ITS supported products; please see our testing results.
- Impact: We recommend that you check ITS's support statement before installing macOS Sierra on UVA computers; not all services, most notably the Integrated System (HR/Fin) and Student Information System (SIS) are supported under Sierra.
Integrated System Information to Move to ITSWeb (Sept. 20, 2016)
Functionality to Remain Same
- Purpose: On Tuesday, Sept. 20, Integrated System (IS) information now
will be relocated to ITSWeb at
(replacing a very limited IS site currently there). The support structure for the existing site on
www.virginia.edu is not being updated and the code is becoming increasingly deprecated.
- Impact: While most staff who use the Integrated System only use
Employee/Manager Self-Service and typically get to that via Human
Resources' site, administrative users of the Integrated System HR/Finance and SIS do use the
existing site to get to Java downloads, frequently asked questions, forms, etc. On Sept. 20, the
"old" site will have information and a link to the "new" ITSWeb site.
Qualtrics Now Available (Aug. 29, 2016)
Introducing A New Tool for Data Collection and Research
- Purpose: Through a partnership with schools, departments, and others across the University, ITS is proud to announce a new tool in our data collection and research portfolio: Qualtrics. Use this 3-year pilot service to gain insights and perform research.
- Impact: Students, faculty, and staff University-wide will be able to access a
leading research and data collection tool for their teaching, research, and administrative purposes.
- New Users: Welcome! To begin accessing Qualtrics, head over to the Qualtrics About Page to learn more about what data can be stored where in the system. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
- Current Users of Qualtrics in their school/department: Several departments across Grounds currently have Qualtrics licenses. Over the next few months, users of existing departmental licenses will be informed of an impending downtime, and will then be moved into the central portal for Qualtrics. If you are an affected party, you will receive a message concerning this migration process from your local school/departmental administrator.
Change to Search Function on ITSWeb (Aug. 15, 2016)
Mirrors Changes to UVA Search
- Purpose: In the interest of protecting student privacy, the UVA Search is changing. These changes are slated to go live on Monday, August 15, 2016. The People Search function on ITSWeb will likewise be changed to accomodate student privacy.
- Impact: Our general ITSWeb search for information found on our site
will be the same (in the header with the magnifying glass and "ITS"), but our "People" search
link will move to the "Quick Access" area in the lower part of our homepage and the
footer, be renamed "UVA Internal People
Search", and require a NetBadge login.
- The main UVA Search (people and terms) will continue to function as before with this exception: it will not return student information. If you are looking for this data, you will have the option to click a button on the results page that says "Find All People (Login Req)" and it will prompt you to log in via NetBadge. This will enable you to initiate a search that includes students and provides the more granular information.
- An "Advanced" search that allows for refined searching by field (department, phone number, computing ID), will continue to be available, but will be moved behind NetBadge.
Shibboleth Upgrade (July 18, 2016)
Test Your Applications Beforehand
- Purpose: ITS will be upgrading Shibboleth on July 18, 2016.
- Impact: Though we do not anticipate any impact to
applications using the current version of Shibboleth, the update could pose
issues for customized applications. Due to this possibility, ITS asks that
you test your applications prior to the upgrade by following
these instructions (NetBadge
required) to ensure they authenticate and function properly.
After the upgrade: If you identify problems with any application on the list above, please email us and include any errors or other diagnostic information related to the failure(s).
UVA Now Participating in eduroam (May 2016)
"Traveler-based" eduroam Available to UVA Faculty
- Purpose: UVA is now participating in eduroam, which is used by many educational institutions as a secure way to offer WiFi to campus visitors from other participating institutions.
eduroam can be implemented in several ways: as a visitor-based system, as a traveler-based
system, or as both. Currently, eduroam as a visitor-based system is in testing at UVA (specifically
in the Dynamics Building, 2015 Ivy Road). Faculty traveling this summer can, however, configure their machines
to access eduroam at other institutions where it is
available. ITS is providing configuration instructions for supported versions of
Mac OS X, and
iOS devices for our faculty who may benefit
from this service as a traveler.
- You must have previously configured a connection to the encrypted cavalier wireless network at UVA.
- For iOS devices, you must be within range of a working eduroam WiFi network to set it up so you must come to the Dynamics Building if you wish to configure eduroam access before visiting an institution where it is already in use. If you are running Windows or Mac OS X on your computer, you are not required but may want to come to the Dynamics Building to test eduroam configuration/access before traveling.
Questions about support for eduroam may be directed to the UVA Help Desk.
Service Portal for Requests Debuts (Feb. 18, 2016)
Telephone & Network Service Requests First to Go "Automated"
- Purpose: ITS has embarked on an initiative to improve the quality of our request fulfillment processes and to standardize these operations. This transition will take place over the course of multiple projects. The first of these is to transform paper-based, email-based, and other service requests into automated processes with designated fulfillment teams. This project will roll out on Thursday, February 18, 2016.
The web-based tool is intended to provide our customers with an easy way to
request and track their orders all in one central location. In the future, this
tool will become one-stop shopping for requesting over 100 ITS services.
The latest release of services rolled out in the Service Portal on Thursday, July 14, 2016. Check out the project website for the latest releases.
Windows License Server & Management Changes (May-Fall 2016)
Affects Software Packages in Labs, Departments, Classrooms
- Purpose: ITS will begin upgrading its Windows license server/manager service for software packages used in labs, departments, and classrooms after the end of Spring Semester 2016 and continuing through Fall 2016. Software affected by this change includes Aspen, HSM Works, SolidWorks, Mathcad (Classroom only), and Autocad among other packages.
- Impact: ITS will contact individuals in charge of the
affected packages for departments and labs with exact dates for the migration to the new servers.
ITS System Status will list downtimes
for the packages 2 business days before they are moved to the new license managers.
To save users the inconvenience of having to renew or purchase new licenses multiple times, the software licenses will be replaced and changed at their expiration.
ITS will continue to adhere to all license terms and restrictions for the affected software.
After the upgrade:
- The current server will be migrated to 3 servers, providing redundancy (where permitted) for the license manager.
- Once software is migrated to the new servers, users will need to connect to the license server through the VPN when off Grounds. On-Grounds access will be unaffected.
Questions about this change should be directed to email@example.com.
Contract Change for Microsoft Select Plus (May 1, 2016)
New Contract Yields Savings
- Purpose: The current Microsoft Select Plus agreement will be ending on Saturday, April 30, 2016. As of Sunday, May 1, 2016, the University of Virginia will be using a new contract that has been negotiated for faculty and staff purchases of Microsoft products. The new contract, facilitated through an educational consortium called E&I Cooperative Services, will yield savings between 1% to 8% over the existing agreement.
- Impact: Effective May 1, 2016, users will be required to include different agreement information when completing a purchase order with our Microsoft reseller, SHI International Corp. Please see this website for further details.