ITS Service Changes
How Ongoing/Upcoming Upgrades May Affect You
Below is more detail about ongoing and upcoming changes to ITS services that are likely to impact you:
- Central Mail Service Retirement
- ITS Statement on Support of Mac El Capitan (OS X 10.11) at UVa
- ITS Support of Mac Lion (OS X 10.7) Ending in August 2015
- Software Distribution Changes for SafeNet Tokens
- UVa Software Interface Update
- SecureCRT & SecureFX Updates Coming
- Welcome to UVa Wireless Page Updates
- UVaCollab Upgrade
- SIS Mobile Now Available for Current Students
- More Robust WiFi Coming to UVa
- New VOIP Telephone System for UVa Faculty & Staff
- UVa Software Interface Update
Central Mail Service Retirement (Dec. 31, 2015)
Employee & Generic Accounts May Be Migrated to Exchange
- Purpose: In December 2015, the UVa Central Mail Service (CMS) will be discontinued. The system, which has been running since 1995, has become obsolete and is no longer sustainable.
- Impact: Well ahead of Dec. 31, 2015, CMS users' generic and
"personal" (UVa employees and retirees) accounts will be migrated to the
Central Exchange Service.
- An updated migration timeline is available on the project's website. Staff migrations are planned for late summer; faculty migrations in the fall, with generic accounts to follow.
- Once you have been migrated, you will need to begin using Exchange for your UVa email.
- If you no longer need your CMS account (personal or generic), you may delete the account.
- The Central Mail Service will be shut down for good on December 31.
Specifics of the migration, which are developing daily, may be found on the CMS Migration website.
Statement on Support of Mac El Capitan (OS X 10.11) at UVa
ITS Not Recommending Any Installations at This Time
- Purpose: Apple's next new operating system, OS X 10.11 “El Capitan”, does not yet have an official release date. ITS will being formal testing of El Capitan after Apple releases a final version and our support status of the OS will be determined after initial testing.
- Impact: We recommend not installing El Capitan on UVa machines until the services you need are listed as “Supported” on the El Capitan Status & Availability of Software & Support page.
ITS Support of Mac Lion (OS X 10.7) Ending (Aug. 1, 2015)
Upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite Recommended
- Purpose: ITS will no longer be testing versions of new software on Macintosh systems running OS X, version 10.7 (Lion), and will be ending user support of this platform on August 1, 2015. Box support has already been retired for this operating system.
- Impact: Mac OS X 10.7 users are encouraged to upgrade their systems to Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), or to version 10.10 (Yosemite) if your hardware and usage demands will allow it. (Note: As of Mar. 2015, there are some support issues with 10.10 and Identity Finder and SIS/IS use.) If you are using Mac OS X 10.7 on a University-owned system, contact your Local Support Partner (LSP) or the UVa Help Desk for more information. Software for Macintosh OS X versions higher than 10.7 will still be available for downloading from the UVa Software Gateway.
Software Distribution Changes (July 30, 2015)
Affects SafeNet Token Use
- Purpose: The way SafeNet Token software is distributed will change on Thursday, July 30. Please note there is no need to update as long as your current version of the software works.
- Impact: You will continue to get the software from the
UVa Software Gateway, but
- SafeNet token drivers will be distributed through UVa Software; the location of the stand-alone installer has changed. Please update any bookmarks accordingly.
Need more information? UVa Identity Token website »
UVa Software Interface Update (July 29, 2015)
New Tabs Make Finding Software Easier
- Purpose: The "UVa Licensed Software" tab on the UVa Software site is being split into 2 tabs — "Data Analysis & Research" and "Security & Remote Access" — on Wednesday, July 29.
- Impact: Software should be easier to find. For instance, under "Data Analysis & Research," you'll find titles like ANSYS, SAS, SPSS, and Mathematica. Residing under "Security & Remote Access" are packages like SecureCRT, SecureFX, Identity Finder, and the SafeNet Token clients.
SecureCRT & SecureFX Updates Coming (July 8, 2015)
Download Latest Versions from the UVa Software Gateway
- Purpose: ITS will offer updated versions of SecureFX and SecureCRT for both Windows and Mac; you will continue to get the software from the UVa Software Gateway.
- Impact:The versions are being upgraded from 7.1 to 7.3.1 and SecureFX
and SecureCRT for Mac will replace Fugu on the Software Gateway.
- If your current versions of SecureCRT and SecureFX work, there is no need to update.
SecureFX provides secure file transfer, with several different encryption protocols, and allows encrypted logins and Secure FTP sessions with many servers and UNIX computers at UVa. SecureCRT provides secure remote access and file transfer, with several different terminal emulations, and allows encrypted Secure Shell (SSH1 and SSH2) sessions. These software titles are licensed to the University of Virginia and provided to those individuals who are employed by or enrolled at UVa. All other use is strictly prohibited and they are governed by export controls.
Welcome to UVa Wireless Page Updates (June 23, 2015)
- Purpose: ITS upgraded the interface used to connect your computer and mobile devices to UVa WiFi on June 23, 2015.
- Impact: Improvements include:
- Giving the captive portal screen (the webpage shown automatically when connected to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless) a more streamlined look;
- Making the UVa Network Setup Tool download page more user-friendly;
- Easing the process of connecting to wahoo WiFi for Android users; and
- Changing to a more responsive design that looks better on any size device, including smaller smartphone screens.
The improved interface is shown below.
UVaCollab Upgrade (May 20, 2015)
Sakai 10.2 Release Brings New Projects/Tools &Enhancements
- Purpose: The UVaCollab upgrade will incorporate the Sakai 10.2 release, 89 projects/tools, and many new features and enhancements.
- Impact: Starting at 7:30 PM on May 20, 2015, UVaCollab
will be down for approximately 2-4 hours. If you are teaching or taking classes using
UVaCollab sites that evening, please make necessary adjustments to download needed
materials, join online Blackboard Collaborate sessions, etc., prior to 7:30 PM to avoid
an outage during the downtime.
- The Bb Collaborate Bridge tool will be retired with this upgrade. Retirement means that the Bb Collaborate Bridge tool will no longer appear in UVaCollab sites that currently have it nor will the tool appear in the list of tools that can be added to sites. After May 20, the Blackboard Collaborate LTI tool will be the only tool available in UVaCollab for creating, joining, and recording Blackboard Collaborate sessions. (More info »)
- New features include using a Site URL to promote Joinable Sites, new site templates, audit logs and additional participant functions, and Joinable Groups (a faculty request).
- The arrangement with the UVa Library for the scanning of materials to be included in UVaCollab sites is changing.
For more info, check out the UVaCollab website.
SIS Mobile Now Available for Current Students (Jan. 29, 2015)
Faculty & Applicant Access to SIS Mobile Not Yet Available
- Purpose: In response to student feedback, ITS partnered with UREG,
schools and departments on Grounds, and Student Council to develop a new user interface for the
Student Information System called "SIS Mobile." Current students may opt to use SIS Mobile on a
phone, tablet, or computer to enjoy a user-friendly interface to do most tasks available in SIS,
plus some new functionality. With SIS Mobile, you can:
- See your daily class schedule and locations on a map — and also your exams.
- Share interesting classes with friends via Facebook and Twitter.
- Add or drop classes, view your to–do list, holds, etc.
- Check your grades on the go.
- Impact: This winter, UVa J-term students piloted SIS Mobile and
based on their feedback, we've implemented some changes and are ready to make it available to all
- Early April (during your SIS enrollment appointment): Try SIS Mobile to start your class search and enrollment process for Summer and/or Fall 2015.
- Need help? If you find something you cannot do in SIS Mobile, try it in SIS. Still having problems? Contact the UVa Help Desk for assistance or to report a problem.
More Robust WiFi Coming to UVa Grounds (2014-2016)
ITS Is Upgrading the University’s Wireless, Building by Building
- Purpose: The University’s aging WiFi infrastructure is being updated in both residence halls and academic buildings to support wireless (rather than wired) as the primary means of connectivity.
- Impact: The WiFi Infrastructure Upgrade Project will provide substantial increases in coverage and speed: you can expect WiFi about 10 times faster than currently available once buildings are upgraded. See also the Cavalier Daily article, “Residence areas get new Wi-Fi”.
New Telephone System for UVa Faculty & Staff (Jan. 2014-Dec. 2015)
Replacement System Features Robust Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Purpose: The existing voice communication infrastructure, originally installed in 1996, is outdated and expensive to maintain. It also lacks the capabilities of the current generation voice technology systems that UVa needs to handle our advanced communication requirements. The University (both academic and medical center sides) will replace the old communication infrastructure with a modern standards-based system using proven technology while providing enhanced functionality for us all.
- 26,000 lines will be migrated over 16 months
- 20,000 telephones will be replaced
- 6,000 analog lines will be migrated (Fax, Emergency, Elevator)