ITS Services Catalog
Services for Category: Hosting
Here is a list of ITS services related to the category of Hosting.
- Backup Service
- This service provides filesystem backup for ITS and contracted departmental servers. More info »
- Box (UVA Box)
- Box is a cloud-based storage and collaboration service that gives eligible members of the University community the ability to access, store, and share a wide range of non-sensitive/moderately sensitive University files securely—anywhere, anytime, on any device.
A UVA Box account provides:
- 1 TB of space
- Access to your files via computer, smartphone, & mobile device
- Share and collaborate with colleagues both inside and outside the University
- Auto-sync, commenting, customizable permissions, and version history functionality all available
- CrashPlan (Desktop Backup Service)
- CrashPlan is a cloud-enhanced desktop backup service. Code42 securely backs up your endpoint devices to the cloud, while keeping the security keys to your content safely in UVA's control.
- Cloud storage for backup of up to 4 endpoint devices per user
- Protection against crypto-ransomware and other malicious software that destroys/encrypts content on end-user devices
- Protection of University data on endpoint devices from loss due to hard drive failure, computer failure, etc.
- Data Center (Co-location)
University departments/groups can request rack(s) to host equipment in the University Data Center (UDC) and the Carruthers Data Center (CDC). Power and top of rack networking are provided by ITS:
- 46 NEMA 5-20R power outlets
- 46 10/100/1000Base-T network ports.
- Databases - Microsoft
- A robust, scalable database where individuals or departments can develop and support Web and/or software-based applications to access the data stored in the database.
Microsoft SQL Database hosted on an enterprise-level, high availability SQL Server 2012 R2.
- 1 Gigabyte (GB) of space for database
- Database Owner (DBO) Access which allows administrative control of the database.
- Databases - MySQL
- Self-service MySQL account and database management. Includes user or group database account ID and database service, with a web-based management interface (phpMyAdmin). More info »
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- The ITS Domain Name System (DNS) (Hostmaster) provides for Internet Protocol (IP) address and Internet name assignment. Static IP address, Domain Name System (DNS) hostname, and domain assignment for UVa departments/group technical professionals is also provided. More info »
- Home Directory Service (HDS)
- The Home Directory Service (HDS) is a centralized file repository for all UVA faculty, staff, and students. You can use Home Directory to back up your important documents on the UVA network; store files online to access them from anywhere; and easily publish files to the Web. Access your files stored on Home Directory either using software installed on your personal computer, or using the Internet from any computer. More info »
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) service at UVA is a directory of publicly-accessible information about UVA people, containing a subset of the available data in the UVA User Database.
Public LDAP can be used to look up registered email addresses, office phone numbers, etc. for members of the UVA community. UVA users who have elected to make all their information private do not appear in this search. Public LDAP is also used by the UVa People Search Web Interface.
Many University Web applications protected by the NetBadge service access the Private LDAP service to determine whether a user is authorized to use that application based on their status as a faculty, staff, or student. More info »
- Whether you need a physical server or a virtual host, Information Technology Services (ITS) has options to accommodate your needs. The Enterprise Storage and Computing Platforms group can build, maintain, and support basic hardware and operating systems (Microsoft, UNIX, Linux). We can manage your server (and everything that goes along with it) so you can devote your time to other tasks.
Contract-based services include:
- Recommending and facilitating the purchase of hardware and operating systems
- Hardware and Operating System support
- Security updates
- Preventive maintenance
- Security settings controlled by security templates delivered through group policy (for servers in Eservices domain)
Microsoft and UNIX consulting is available by the hour for non-ITS contract servers where there is a consultant available. More info »
- SharePoint (On-Premises)
- Microsoft SharePoint is a Web-based system that facilitates collaboration among individuals or groups by setting up websites to share information with others, manage documents from start to finish, and share other related tasks.
It also offers 3 GB of storage space and integrates easily with other Microsoft products (e.g., the Office suite, Access, Lync, Project) allowing for coordination of projects, calendars, and schedules, having discussions, and sharing documents and proposal reviews. More info »
- SSL Server Certificate Service
- A secure socket layer (SSL) server certificate is used for securing communication with Web servers. The ITS SSL server certificate service leverages the InCommon Federation and Internet2 to provide a cost-effective commercial solution to its members including ITS. Though this service, SSL server certificates are available for free to departments with any domain name owned by the University. More info »
- Storage - Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM)
- Tape-based archive hierarchical storage management service for infrequently accessed Library and research data. More info »
- Storage - RESSCU - Tertiary Storage for Disaster Recovery
- RESSCU (Remote Electronic Storage for Safeguarding Continuity of the University) provides remote storage for disaster recovery (DR) at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. This is a service that provides access and a location to store DR data, but not the transfer unless requested specifically. More info »
- Storage - Standard, Premium, Value
- ITS offers 4 tiers of data storage, depending on requirements. Storage can be accessible from a PC, Mac, or UNIX/Linux computer. More info »
- UNIX Web Infrastructure
- These UNIX/Linux Web virtual hosting services are based on an Apache Web service supporting http and https access with 250 megabytes of storage. More info »
- Website and Application Development
- ITS Custom Applications and Consulting Services create and maintain custom software applications for use by the entire institution, schools, departments, and research investigators. More info »