ITS Services Catalog
Services for Category: Communicating
Here is a list of ITS services related to the category of Communicating.
- Email Alias and Forwarding - Address Management System (AMS)
- ITS allows for the self-service management of email aliases and available accounts. The Address Management System (AMS):
- Is used to establish email aliases and control where email addressed to those aliases is delivered.
- Allows students to obtain 2 aliases in the @email.virginia.edu domain, in addition to their firstname.lastname@example.org primary alias.
- Allows faculty to obtain up to 7 aliases in the @virginia.edu domain, plus 2 aliases in the @email.virginia.edu domain.
- Permits all users to configure up to 5 "deliverable addresses" where aliases can be directed.
- Documentation is available online.
More info »
- Email and Calendar for Employees (Outlook/Exchange)
- A UVA Centralized Exchange account provides users with centralized enterprise (across UVA) level access to Microsoft Outlook Email and Calendar, and contacts stored in one place that can be accessed on a computer, phone, or browser. The UVA Centralized Exchange Service is able to integrate with the following:
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Lync
- Microsoft Office suite
A UVA Centralized Exchange account also provides:
- 6 gigabytes (GB) of space for mailboxes
- Virus protection
- Spam blocking
- ActiveSync mailbox policies
- Global Address List (GAL) for UVA staff
- Email for Students (Gmail)
- Student email is provided on a Google Education Domain (Gmail).
- Provides a complete communication package, including email, integrated instant messaging, online document sharing, calendaring, Web publishing tools, and more
- Students may retain their UVA Gmail accounts "for life"
- Emergency Notification
- Emergency notification includes Mass Email, e2Campus, LED Display, and other services.
Emergency Notification Systems are used by an authorized group of people (primarily the University Police Department) to send time-sensitive emergency messages using multiple notification modes to all faculty, staff and students in the Charlottesville area. This includes:
- An email message to your primary University email account
- Displays in classrooms of 150 or more
- Emergency messages on all HooView-participating displays and departmental displays subscribing to the Display Override option
- ITSWeb (http://its.virginia.edu)
- ITSWeb is the Web presence for Information Technology Services (ITS), providing online help, information, and resources. More info »
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) service at UVA is a directory of publicly-accessible information about UVA people, containing a subset of the available data in the UVA User Database.
Public LDAP can be used to look up registered email addresses, office phone numbers, etc. for members of the UVA community. UVA users who have elected to make all their information private do not appear in this search. Public LDAP is also used by the UVa People Search Web Interface.
Many University Web applications protected by the NetBadge service access the Private LDAP service to determine whether a user is authorized to use that application based on their status as a faculty, staff, or student. More info »
- Lync/Instant Messenger (Pilot service, unsupported)
- The Enterprise-level Lync account has these capabilities:
- Instant Messaging
- Presence - allows you to notify others if you are available, busy, in a meeting, or away More info »
- Mailing List (Sympa)
- This service offers mailing lists with an @virginia.edu address to anyone in the UVa community. It leverages the UVa Enterprise infrastructure by integrating single sign-on (NetBadge).
- Used to establish and manage mailing lists for sending email to multiple people via one email address
- Can include external to UVa recipients
- Provides large selection of configuration options appropriate for many different kinds of lists
- Mass Electronic Mailings (Mass Mail)
- The Mass Electronic Mailing (Mass Mail) service can be used to send emails to large (1000+) user subsets of the UVa community.
- Used by authorized personnel to send emails when needed as approved.
- Allows the user to send test messages to determine how these emails will look before sending to the entire list.
- Target population is defined by classification or by a user-generated list.
- MyGroups allows UVA faculty, staff, and students to set up email lists and to manage access to online applications and services at UVA by creating groups of authorized users. You can use MyGroups to manage groups for email lists, website access, and file permissions. More info »
- People Search (UVA People Search)
- There are 2 ways to search for people at UVA. Use UVA Internal People Search (NetBadge login required) to find students, faculty, and staff. If you cannot log in through NetBadge, use the UVA Public People Search to find faculty and staff. More info »
- System Status
- System Status is the mechanism for reporting planned and unplanned downtimes and outages of ITS services to the University community. More info »
- Telephone Service
- All information regarding telephone service at UVA is available on the University Telephone System website. This includes, but is not limited to: getting and using telephone service, reporting problems, billing, voicemail, long distance and toll-free offerings, forced authorization codes (FAC), and special phone services like Call Centers. More info »
- Television/Online Media Options
- ITS manages IPTV, which provides web browser-based access to several local broadcast live TV channels and is available via on-Grounds wired and wireless network connections. The service is provided and supported for the benefit of students in UVA residence halls, but may be accessed by faculty and staff in an unsupported manner.
On June 30, 2017, ITS retired the legacy, standard definition UVA Cable TV service previously available in certain UVA buildings for fee. More info »
- Video Conferencing and Video Equipment Loans
- Videoconferencing allows geographically separated members of a group to meet for discussion of a topic, interactive presentations, or demonstrations of software. ITS provides the infrastructure to support these interactions.
- A pair of Codian MCUs (multipoint control units) provide sites which multiple remote users can access to participate in the same videoconference.
- A Gatekeeper is available for those wishing to register a device with a videoconferencing address which can then be used as part of the Global Dialing Scheme.
- 2 Polycom ViewStation SP units are available for use by Faculty/Staff needing a group videoconferencing solution.
- Documentation can be accessed online.
More info »
- Video over IP
- This service includes channels which are available via IP streaming and use Haivision's VideoFurnace server, encoders, and decoders. It allows the streaming of video programming from local and satellite TV channels.
More info »
- Video Streaming
- ITS provides video streaming of live University events. Video encoder equipment is available to those who are interested in broadcasting special events. More info »