ITS Services Catalog
Services for Category: Communicating
Here is a list of ITS services related to the category of Communicating.
- Email Alias and Forwarding - Address Management System (AMS)
- ITS allows for the self-service management of email aliases and available accounts. The Address Management System (AMS):
- Is used to establish email aliases and control where email addressed to those aliases is delivered.
- Allows students to obtain 2 aliases in the @email.virginia.edu domain, in addition to their firstname.lastname@example.org primary alias.
- Allows faculty to obtain up to 7 aliases in the @virginia.edu domain, plus 2 aliases in the @email.virginia.edu domain.
- Permits all users to configure up to 5 "deliverable addresses" where aliases can be directed.
- Documentation is available online.
More info »
- Email and Calendar for Faculty and Staff (Outlook/Office 365)
- As of Nov. 2017, all UVA faculty and staff authorized to have ITS-provided email accounts use Office 365 email and calendaring. Because Office 365's email and calendar functionality is in the cloud, email and calendaring are not hosted on servers located at UVA.
Using Office 365/Outlook also enables the cloud-based versions of the familiar Microsoft Office suite with Microsoft's communications and collaboration services. This suite includes SharePoint Online, Skype for Business, OneDrive, and Microsoft Office ProPlus (rollout dates for these applications will be in 2018).
Access your email and calendar anywhere from a PC, tablet, smartphone, or other device with an Internet connection. Mailbox storage is 100GB.
Please see the Office 365 website for complete details. More info »
- Email for Students (Gmail)
- Student email is provided on a Google Education Domain (Gmail).
- Provides a complete communication package, including email, integrated instant messaging, online document sharing, calendaring, Web publishing tools, and more
- Students may retain their UVA Gmail accounts "for life"
- Emergency Notification
- Emergency notification includes Mass Email, UVA Alerts, LED Display, and other services.
Emergency Notification Systems are used by an authorized group of people (primarily the University Police Department) to send time-sensitive emergency messages using multiple notification modes to all faculty, staff, and students in the Charlottesville area. This includes:
- An email message to your primary University email account
- Displays in classrooms of 150 or more
- Emergency messages on all HooView-participating displays and departmental displays subscribing to the Display Override option
- Event Registration Application (Eventbrite)
- Information Technology Services (ITS) has negotiated terms and conditions to allow UVA faculty and staff to create event registration forms for University-related events using Eventbrite. More info »
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) service at UVA is a directory of publicly-accessible information about UVA people, containing a subset of the available data in the UVA User Database.
Public LDAP can be used to look up registered email addresses, office phone numbers, etc. for members of the UVA community. UVA users who have elected to make all their information private do not appear in this search. Public LDAP is also used by the UVa People Search Web Interface.
Many University Web applications protected by the NetBadge service access the Private LDAP service to determine whether a user is authorized to use that application based on their status as a faculty, staff, or student. More info »
- Mailing List (Sympa)
- This service offers mailing lists with an @virginia.edu address to anyone in the UVa community. It leverages the UVa Enterprise infrastructure by integrating single sign-on (NetBadge).
- Used to establish and manage mailing lists for sending email to multiple people via one email address
- Can include external to UVa recipients
- Provides large selection of configuration options appropriate for many different kinds of lists
- Mass Electronic Mailings (Mass Mail)
- The Mass Electronic Mailing (Mass Mail) service can be used to send emails to large (1000+) user subsets of the UVa community.
- Used by authorized personnel to send emails when needed as approved.
- Allows the user to send test messages to determine how these emails will look before sending to the entire list.
- Target population is defined by classification or by a user-generated list.
- MyGroups allows UVA faculty, staff, and students to set up email lists and to manage access to online applications and services at UVA by creating groups of authorized users. You can use MyGroups to manage groups for email lists, website access, and file permissions. More info »
- Office 365 (OneDrive, Office Online, SharePoint, Groups & Teams, and more)
- An ITS-provided Office 365 account provides users with access to a suite of online services which integrate into the desktop office suite, which currently include:
- Email & Calendaring
- Skype for Business (chat, videoconferencing and screen sharing)
- OneDrive, Office Online, SharePoint, Groups & Teams
- Office 365 ProPlus
- To-Do & more!
More info »
- People Search (UVA People Search)
- There are 2 ways to search for people at UVA. Use UVA Internal People Search (NetBadge login required) to find students, faculty, and staff. If you cannot log in through NetBadge, use the UVA Public People Search to find faculty and staff. More info »
- Service Status
- Service Status is the mechanism for reporting planned and unplanned downtimes and outages of ITS services to the University community. More info »
- Skype for Business for Faculty and Staff (Office 365)
- Skype for Business (chat, videoconferencing and screen sharing) is provided to UVA faculty and staff entitled to ITS-provisioned Office 365 accounts.
Traditional meetings can be a challenge when people are spread out over long distances. Communication technology like Skype can overcome this physical boundary by allowing people to attend from any location with Internet or phone access. More info »
- Telephone Service
- All information regarding telephone service at UVA is available on the University Telephone System website. This includes, but is not limited to: getting and using telephone service, reporting problems, billing, voicemail, long distance and toll-free offerings, forced authorization codes (FAC), and special phone services like Call Centers. More info »
- Television (IPTV)
- ITS manages IPTV, which provides web browser-based access to several local broadcast live TV channels and is available via on-Grounds wired and wireless network connections. The service is provided and supported for the benefit of students in UVA residence halls, but may be accessed by faculty and staff in an unsupported manner. More info »